- Glittery chenille stems in different colors
- Instant grab glue
- Sewing needle and thread (optional, parent step)
How to make it:
- Have kids create the letters of their name using chenille stems. They should bend, twist, and trim where needed. (See photo.)
- Position the letters on the backpack to get a visual. Once you have them where you want them, secure them to the backpack with instant grab glue. (See photo.)
- With remaining chenille, wrap pieces around a pen or pencil, untwist to make swirled shapes. Glue to the backpack. (See photo.)
- As a final step, parents can add a few stitches around the ends of each letter to secure them more tightly.
- If you have safety concerns about using your child’s name choose a favorite word or phraase instead.
- Glittery chenille can be found at your local craft supply store and local discount department stores.
- This is a great way to jazz up last year’s backpack and save some money on back to school shopping!
- For areas where a child’s room number must be displayed, this is a great way to add that with a fun twist.
Thanks to Kaboose.com for this project and photo.